Sunday, April 02, 2006

I liked this piece so much I really wanted to make another one, but I didn't get a chance until 2001 when Jay Jensen of the Contemporary Museum in Honolulu, Hawai'i was thinking about spending some Wallace Alexander Gerbode award money on me. At his request, I made a couple more of these & sent him photos. He did eventually buy one for the museum.

Now, I left my original piece in situ when the symposium was over, so I had never rolled it up again. When I was making samples for Jay, I had to roll them up after photographing them - and of course to ship him the one he bought. So it was a surprise to me to find out that these were also pretty cool when they were re-wound.

I couldn't rewind them nearly as tightly as they'd originally been wound by machine, so the painted scoreboard patterns quickly degraded in a kind of spiralling away, like smoke from a chimney.

And after awhile, a sort of reversal of the pattern would occur: I think it's sort of the same phenomenon as automobile wheels looking like they're rotating in reverse when the car is going forward. Clicking on the "Target Radiant Red & White 1" image above illustrates this best.